Wednesday 20 November 2013

Imagery Quickwrite

#673
in honor of spending the last five days without electricity
http://writingprompts.tumblr.com/archive

And it was at that exact moment that the power came back on that I woke up in a panic and my eye's couldn't adjust. Everything was too bright. It was like a camera not knowing what to focus on. I don't even know how long the town had been in darkness for, we all lost count after a while. It wasn't even just the power that was out, anything that emitted light wasn't working, even the sun. But it all just turned back on at once, like a deer in the headlights, no one was expecting it. I was finally able to get up and look around. I realized I was in a school, I have no idea how I got here. All I saw were the brown desks with the neon orange chairs thrown all across the room. And it was cold. Really cold. Every time I let out a breath, I saw the air escape my mouth and I couldn't stop shivering, seeing each individual hair stand up on my arms. It was a habit walking against a wall, feeling the ice cold stone on your fingertips, following where it'll take you. But now I know where I'm going. I can see. When I got outside, the sun was shining like never before, and I could feel the warmth on my skin, something that I haven't felt in a long time. There were people walking on the sidewalks, and something didn't feel right. I saw one of my friends and I started running towards him and I tried calling out his name, but no words came out. I kept yelling and yelling but nothing happened. I stopped running and I turned around to a car honking, and tires screeching, I just closed my eyes and ducked for cover, and when I finally opened my eyes, I was lying in my bed, sweating.

No comments:

Post a Comment